Marikit

Marikit
Masdan mo ang aking karikitan

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

ALCATRAZ in the Philippines?!


I was watching an old movie yesterday; actually it was my sister’s collection. She is fond of collecting old movies especially with her favorite actor, Clint Eastwood. I also love watching old movies; I find it more interesting than the recent flicks. “Escape from Alcatraz” is the title of the movie and it was released in 1979 in 815 theaters in US. Frank Morris played by Clint Eastwood is a cunning bank robber who determines to be the first to escape from Alcatraz prison which is supposedly escape-proof.  Actually, this is not the first time I’ve watched movies like these, but there’s something in this movie that really got my interest. I’ve read last Monday that Senator Juan Miguel Zubiri proposed that the “New Bilibid Prison” (NBP) be sold and build a modernized and well-secured facility in an isolated island like Alcatraz. He pointed out that high profile inmates enjoy VIP treatment and their not afraid to go in and out whenever they want. As for our fellow countrymen, they will inhibit or refrain from committing crimes since their family will not be able to visit them if in case the proposal will push through. I strongly believe that if this proposal will be implemented, not only heinous crimes and criminals will be stopped but it will also start economic recovery for country since foreign investors will start coming in. As I continue watching the movie, I was very impressed with how accurate the movie mirrored what my sense of prison life and the escape would be like based on my impressions of the prison and the island. The lack of action per se perfectly captures the actual mood of the prison, where boredom reigned, and I thought the film balanced this well with an entertaining cast of characters and well-timed action. Eastwood's silently intense attitude was a good fit for the role and the drama and atmosphere of the escape scene was done perfectly. I just hope that if ever the “Alcatraz” proposal will push through... No one should ever escape from Alcatraz…And no one ever will!

allvoices

No comments:

Post a Comment